StatCounter

Sunday 26 February 2012

Dinner 001

For dinner tonight I made pork chops in a mushroom gravy, hasselback potatoes, and corn . We also had bread (homemade) with butter. It took me about an hour and a half to make, but I always wash dishes as I go. And I often have to stop to referee or entertain the kids.


Serenity has never liked potatoes. Even as a baby she hated them. You know those jarred baby stews? It'd have chunks of potato, carrot, turkey, etc... well, she loved them, but whenever she got a piece of potato in her mouth she would push it out. I don't know how she could tell a chunk of potato from a carrot or any other vegetable, but she did. She is becoming more open about foods now. It's a slow process, but she's getting there! I remind her that one of her favourite foods is French fries, and that it's made from potato.

Tonight she left just a bit of corn on her plate. Her motivation in getting through those dreaded potatoes was a piece of brownie for dessert. My kids waste a lot of food so I make their portions really small.

Charisma ate only her corn. lol I'm sure she licked the other stuff before I had to take her plate away. When she is done eating she starts to mash and throw everything!

Astra loved the potato and pork chop. Especially the pork chop! I split a pork chop between the kids. I gave Serenity, Charisma, and Astra about 5 adult bites worth (cut into small pieces) each. There was still 2/3rds of the chop left, and Astra ended up finishing it all by herself. And she ate Charisma's. She didn't care for her bread at all, which is unlike her. She also didn't care for the corn. But she sure ate enough meat.



The potatoes themselves took an hour to bake.


I started the pork chops after I got the potatoes in the oven. There are 4 chops left, so guess what's for dinner tomorrow. I'm a huge fan of leftovers. I almost always make enough food for at least 2 meals. An hour and a half in the kitchen tonight means 10 minutes in the kitchen tomorrow. :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm always looking for new ways to make potatoes...how do you do these hassleback potatoes? I'd love to try them as they look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wash your potatoes and slice them 3/4s of the way through. Boil them for about 15 minutes and then transfer them to a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, other seasonings as you like. I used Italian bread crumbs too. Parmesan would also be good, or even slices of cheese between the potato disks at the very end of the cooking time. They should bake at 425F for about 45 mins. Mine took another hour, probably because they were large. The outside gets crispy and the inside stays soft. We ate them with sour cream and green onion. They are seasoned so nicely you don't need much extra, or even any at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, I am so totally trying that one of these days. Do you peel them first?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can peel them, but I don't. The skin gets crispy. I peeled it off Astra's, but the other 2 ate theirs with it on.

    ReplyDelete